Tuesday, June 3, 2014

In our arms!

I know many of you are anxiously awaiting an update and pics!  All I can say is WOAH, it's been an active few hours.  The van ride from the agency to our hotel started off great since I had his favorite snack (Gerber puffs) and we were making silly faces in the phone camera and laughing as you can see below.  But then there was traffic because it was rush hour and after 10 minutes the novelty of us wore off and he was wondering where the heck his omma was (foster mom).  So, then the crying and screaming continued until we got to the hotel.  If there wasn't traffic and it didn't take so much longer to get there we probably would have arrived without tears...but what can you do?  We survived.  
 
 

 
Then he calmed down once we got to the hotel room because he wanted to explore the place and the toys.  Things were looking up again.  He occasionally asked for omma but all in all we got lots of laughs and smiles during playtime.  But let me tell you, this kid does not stop moving, I mean like never ever.  I really hope it was due to the new surroundings or we are in big trouble- not even a TV show in Korean or an ipad will make this boy stop for more than 15 seconds.  He was having the most fun pretending to cook in the microwave (it's his height).  He touched and pulled everything in the hotel that wasn't nailed down, haha.  We couldn't take our eyes off of him for a second.  What a smarty pants he is though!  He already repeated the words "ball" and "belly button" our first hour in the room! 




 
 
Unfortunately our biggest issue was Grant's behavior towards Auden.  Auden was being such a good boy and big brother and trying to show him stuff and play with him but Grant is not used to sharing and playing with young kids.  Auden is very sensitive and we had to keep explaining that we need to keep Grant happy right now and then we will have to keep working on being nice and sharing.  The language barrier doesn't help either (we were trying to use our list of Korean toddler words, ha).  Our hearts were hurting for Auden because he was trying so hard to play with him.  We know all this takes time and they did have a good few moments together.  

 
 You can see Grant definitely is smitten with his Daddy already.  But thankfully he is not being mean towards me, he is laughing at me when I'm silly and letting me give him food, change his diaper, dances with me (he is quite the dancer!), etc. 


Bedtime!  After Auden watched a show Grant wanted nothing to do with story time unfortunately.  I hope he can sit still for longer than 15 seconds tomorrow:-) 


Our happy boy got sad again for bedtime and wanted his omma, which was to be expected.  Crying and screaming for 10 minutes before we gave him his bedtime bottle that he still takes at night and I laid with him until he fell asleep sucking on just air at that point.  My heart was aching for him.  I can't even imagine what is going through his head right now.  It felt so good to just hold him finally as he laid there asleep in my arms.  Finally, my baby in my arms!  Unfortunately we need to figure out what to do with this bottle that he falls asleep with after he brushes his teeth because he already had two fillings because of it.  But we will deal with that in time.  Right now it was just important that we kept his routine. 

 
 
What a little angel.  Please keep the prayers coming.  We hope every day it gets a little easier between him and Auden. 
 

 

4 comments:

  1. So precious. I'm always happy to hear of a wonderful family being formed. Our daughter was 2 when we brought her home from Vietnam. She still took a bottle of formula at bedtime also. Once we were stateside we switched it to water, then to a sippy cup. 12 years later she is quite a lovely young lady. Congratulations and I'll be praying for your transition. -Lori H (friends of Shaun and Lauren)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We'll pray for good transition Court but it brought tears to my eyes to see you all together. That pic with Cody and his little hands on Cody's hands is precious! Congratulations!!!
    Love,
    Aunt Suellen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I just love this post! It makes me so happy to see you all together! I don't remember a ton about Christina coming home but I do remember that she wanted to give me this weird medicine she had to take and it looked like ear wax. (She had a lot of medicine to take.) I remember my mom telling me that it was so nice she was offering me something that was hers! Lol! 26 years later and I think she still gives me her leftovers :-).

    ReplyDelete
  4. XOXOXO loved reading this!!! Big hugs to the Alvarez family!

    ReplyDelete