Wednesday, July 23, 2014

One week home!

 
It's been one week since we arrived back in the country!  It feels SOOOO good to be home!  The jet lag was definitely worse for Cody and I than the boys, they bounced back to a regular sleeping schedule pretty quickly in part because we did a good job of keeping them up by playing outside that first day until 7pm.  Cody and I are finally getting back to normal. 

First, I should say that our neighbors are amazing and we came back to a house full of presents, balloons, signs, a beautiful picture frame of one of our professional pictures, and a stocked fridge and home cooked meals.  We are overwhelmed by everyone's generosity and once again feel that we hit the neighborhood jackpot.  Grant loved spending time with all the kids in the caul-de-sac. 

                                          
 

Grandpa and Grammy were nice enough to come our first weekend home to help with Auden and all the yard work that needed to be done.  The front landscaping became a jungle while we were gone and it took a lot of work to get it back to looking good.  Grant was still out of sorts and a little whiney but overall did pretty good for his first weekend home and meeting so many new people.  Since he is fully attached to us from our lengthy stay in Korea we have no qualms about him meeting family and friends we just ask that people still respect his personal space.  He is still weary of most women but happily gives men hive fives and fist bumps:-)






Grant loved his first ride in the car seat and the jeep- I think the pictures below speak for themselves!  We lucked out in this department since he does have some weird fears, e.g. not just real animals but some stuffed animals. 

                               
 


Daddy went back to work on Monday and I've been an honorary stay-at-home mom for the past three days.  Grant definitely asked where "Appa" was about 30 times on Monday then would repeat the word "work."  He has now already gotten used to the fact that he returns in the evening.  He has been such a good boy for me the past three days, I hope it isn't a fluke.  He enjoys running errands, and we've hit up a park, been playing outside and going to the pool every day.  It's a little tricky when the boys want to go different directions in the pool but I've been able to manage.  Grant has the puddle jumper floatation device on so I really just have to focus on my Auden who thinks he is a better swimmer than he actually is:-)  Despite the diversity of the town we live in I already got one bizarre comment from a white man in his 70s in the grocery store.  I said excuse me as I tried to get by him and his wife and he bent over to look in the kid car attached to the front of the cart and he said "oh, one is white and one is brown."  I was walking passed him when he said it already so I just ignored it and kept walking.  I know it is just the beginning and people typically won't say things to be rude rather mostly out of curiosity.  I guess I better start having my canned responses ready when necessary. 


                                   


                                

                                            
 
Right now Cody and I are alternating sleeping next to Grant's toddler bed on an aerobed.  And since we got home he is actually preferring Mommy to put him to bed and sleep next to him than Cody which is crazy and huge in his attachment to me.  The first few nights he was waking a lot and he just needs reassurance that we are next to him.  Every night he wakes less and less and now it typically is just once at 4:30am.  He just needs some rubbing on the back and then he will go back to sleep until 7:00am.  So, all in all, he is doing great in his new bed and room and I'm really glad we started him off in there instead of our room which will lessen another transition.  I bet soon he will be constantly sleeping through the night and we won't have to sleep next to him any longer.  He was very happy and surprised to see that we got him a Pororo stuffed animal from Korea.  We saved it to give it to him at home.  I love him all snuggled up to the cute little penguin:-)     

                                           

I don't doubt that we are doing so well one week out because of we spent 6 weeks together in Korea.  We feel very fortunate that besides some normal clinginess around the house he is doing so wonderfully and having so much fun in his new home and the suburbs! 


                                        

No comments:

Post a Comment