Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Grant's Room- All Ready!

Enough of the sad posts for a bit, here is a happier one that I've been promising:-) 
 
We finished Grant's room in March and here it sits patiently waiting for him.  The biggest addition to his room was the window above his bed.  This room was so dark due to the large tree in front of both regular windows.  It got almost zero natural light.  So with the help of our contractor friend, last fall we added this rectangular window which has made an incredible difference.  Now his room is bright and cheery with loads of sunshine pouring in everyday!  Now I just need to get custom blinds for it. 
 
I wanted to make Grant's room similar to Auden's room and have a bright accent wall for the wall that the bed is on.  I also loved the framed prints that Aunt Jody got Auden from Etsy.com so I got them from the same seller for Grant's room but in an airplane theme.  I added some plane decals around the room and even his ceiling fan is designed like an airplane propeller!  I like that Grant's room matches Auden's in many ways but I added little bits of personalization and his Korean heritage.  For now we have Auden's old crib in the room converted to a toddler bed but when Grant comes home we fully intend to co-sleep with him either in our bed or on a mattress on the floor of his room to help with attachment and bonding.       
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

On his bookcase sits a little light (that still works!) that I brough home from South Korea 10 years ago after visiting my best friend Aimee who was teaching there for the year.  It has a bit of pink on it but hopefully Grant won't mind!  Pink is actually a color most associated with baby boys in Korea, believe it or not:-)  Auden helped me go through all his "baby" books and brought them over to Grant's room and was generous enough to let Grant have the football piggy bank of his since he already has another piggy bank on his bookshelf in his room. 






To the right is a nice hand-crafted frame that I ordered off of Etsy.com.  I think the saying is just perfect.  Although we have not met this little boy yet I have the same type of love for him right now that I did for Auden when he was in my belly.  Of course, it's a different type of love than what develops after you meet and care for a child, but it's definitely a love.  










I have a friend that is also waiting for her little boy to come home from Korea and has quite the talent at woodworking.  She was kind and generous enough to make Grant's Korean name in Hangul characters so they could be hung as decoration in his room.  It is going to be his middle name when he comes home so we are so appreciative to have this piece as a tribute to his Korean heritage.  She better start and Etsy shop because lots of other moms on our facebook group want them!   
 
 
The pillowcase pictured below on the left I ordered off of Etsy.com.  My favorite children's book from when Auden was a baby was "Guess How Much I Love You?" and the popular saying from this book is "I love you to the moon and back."  As soon as I found out Grant's foster family's last name was "Moon" I sent this book (written in Korean) in one of his first care packages.  I thought the phrase was so fitting that I had the Etsy seller write "I love you to the Moons and back" (added the "S" on the end of "Moon") to have a remembrance of his foster family always in his room.  I also bought a necklace as a gift for the foster mom with this saying on it that we will give to her when we see her.  The framed print pictured below on the right is from Zulily.com and says "My Roots Lie Here" in the banner above the word "KOREA." 
 
 




 
 


 













 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
I can't wait until Grant walks in his room for the first time and I hope he likes all the pictures, airplanes and things I picked out for him.  Surely, he will love the plush carpet that Daddy and Auden picked out.  I loved every second of decorating it and I hope all the thought and love that went into it shows. 
BIG BROTHER'S ROOM: 
 

Here are pictures of Auden's room that I'm not sure I ever posted after he got his "big boy" furniture.  Since his room is a bit bigger than Grant's he gets the double sized bed and we will eventually get a single size bed for Grant's room.  Our hope is that since Auden doesn't like sleeping alone these days and Grant is used to sleeping in a family bed in Korea that perhaps after a few months of being home they can sleep in Auden's big bed together.  Auden says he would like that but we'll see what Grant has to say about it after he sleeps with "helicopter" Auden and gets his feet in his face every night:-)
 




No comments:

Post a Comment