Monday, April 20, 2015

Happy 3rd Birthday Grant!

Dear Grant,

Today you are 3 years old!  And since it's a Monday, Mommy has off from work and we've been having a great time playing on this beautiful day.  It's such a special birthday because it's your first one at home with us.  We had a wonderful weekend celebrating with a BIG party with a ton of family and friends.  You had a blast and everything went off without a hitch, including the most gorgeous weather, an awesome bounce house for entertainment, the Thomas the Train ice cream cake you requested and yummy BonChon Korean fried chicken that was a huge hit with our guests.  It will definitely be an unforgettable one for us, even if you can't remember it in a few years!

Of course on this day I think of the two other mothers in your life.  The one that gave you life, whom I may never get to see or talk to, but who I will be thinking of for the rest of my life.  I hope she finds peace on this day, the day she gave birth to a son she knew she couldn't raise.  I pray one day she finds out how loved and cherished you are.  Tonight, we will light another candle on your piece of cake for her and when you blow it out we will think of her and wish her peace and happiness.  I hope it will be a tradition we can continue for years to come.    

 I'm also thinking of your amazing Omma, who I chatted with this morning on the other side of the world to wish you a very happy birthday!  After finally connecting on KakaoTalk (Korean text message app), we've been chatting every few days for the past two weeks.  I had no idea that she is so proficient in English that we can have written conversations in real time.  It brings me tears of joy that I've been sending her videos and pictures of you almost daily that make her SO happy.  She still thinks about you every day and has wanted to hear your voice for so long, she LOVED the video of you singing your ABCs I sent her last week.  She says your Appa looks at the photo album I sent them every day with a smile and her younger son misses you so much and just turned 17 a few days ago.  I got more pictures of her and your foster family and more information about you as a baby.  We are so blessed you were placed with such an amazing family and I thank God for them every day.  I'm so happy we can be connected with them right now and I hope that when we go back to Korea when you are about 10 years old we can see her again.  

You are a ball full of energy, spunk, laughter, love and some bossiness thrown in for good measure:)  You have taught me to be a better mother almost every day (patience is key).  Your Daddy and I are often astounded at what a bright little boy you are.  You have a steal trap of a memory and it's hard to believe when we talk to you that you've only been hearing and speaking English for 10 months.  We giggle when we get into "arguments" over whether we should go the regular way or turn for the shortcut when we are going places around town because you know where everything is already.  You learn things by observing people very closely, which we aren't sure is a great thing yet, ha.  I'll never forget when we walked out of the grocery store and I turned for one second to put the cart back outside the door and there you were, leaning against the wall pretending to smoke a cigarette like the old lady 4 feet next to you.  Luckily she was on her cell phone and didn't even notice you next to her before I scooped you up and you giggled.  Your laughter is contagious and even though you still take a while to warm up to new people, when they get to know you, they see what a remarkable little boy you are.  Every night at bedtime when we say we love you and goodnight, you recite a long list of everyone you love- "I love Mommy, Daddy, Auden"...(then in no particular order) "I love Grammy, Grandpa, Nana, Pappy" then you'll throw in the Aunts and Uncles and cousins you have seen recently or you have been thinking about.  You know and remember them all, no matter how frequently you get to see them:-)     

Happy 3rd Birthday baby.  We love you with all of our heart and can't wait to see what the next year brings for you!




                                            

  Big party on Saturday!  BIG thanks to all the grandparents that helped out SO SO much for it and big thanks to all our family and friends for celebrating this special day with us!




 
 




 










No comments:

Post a Comment